Ash Wednesday ~ March 9 at 7 pm
St Croix Reformed Church’s Ash Wednesday Service will be held March 9 at 7 pm in Fellowship Hall. Make sure to put it on your calendar.
Ash Wednesday marks the beginning of Lenten season, -the 40 days before Easter during which Christians prepare to commemorate the Cross and Resurrecton of Jesus, and look inwardly at their lives. The ashes are a biblical symbol of confession and humility.
Traditionally, members “fast” i.e. “give up” something for Lent, such as a favorite food or activity. “Giving up” creates a daily reminder of the season. In recent years many have also practiced “giving extra” during the season, typically in a manner of service to others.
A few suggestions:
- Decide to stay-in for dinner one evening a week instead of going out, and contribute the savings to My Brothers Table or similar social service.
- Give up your favorite food until Easter.
- Gather clothing from your closets and your neighbors and take them to the Women’s Coalition.
- Give up television X nights a week and read an uplifting book instead.
- Go to the beach without distractions and read the Psalms.
- Resolve to attend each worship service and Jazz Vespers service through Easter –bringing a friend with you each time.
- Resolve to give at least 3 specific Positive Affirmations everyday to the people in your life. Tell them why your appreciate them.
- Read a chapter of Matthew’s Gospel each morning.
“And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.”